Contemporary dance

Hi my lovely dancers! 

Today, I'm going to introduce you an essential part of dance: contemporary dance. This form of dance covers different modes of expression that appeared from the 1960s onwards. It is embodied notably in a generation of French choreographers who, in the 1980s, invented their own body language. 


The American influence


American choreographers such as Susan Buirge, Carolyn Carlson or Alwin Nikolais come to work in France. Alwin Nikolais directed the Centre national de danse contemporaine d'Angers, the first French contemporary dance school from 1978 onwards. Each in his own way will influence the French choreographers who will emerge in the 1980s. 


A "sponge-dance"


Receptive to other artistic disciplines, contemporary dance is nourished by multiple influences: circus, mime, comics, literature, cinema, plastic arts...video is also much used by contemporary choreographers such as Philippe Decouflé or Hervé Robbe. Others try their hand at it with more or less happiness...You don't put your steps in the footsteps of the great Merce Cunningham from one day to the next! 





"ROMEO AND JULIETTE" BY ANGELIN PRELJOCAJ, 2016 VERSION


Barefoot and everyday clothing

You will notice that contemporary dancers are often barefoot. A better way to be in direct contact with the floor. Some choreographers make their costumes minimalist. It's often inspired by the clothes we wear every day: T-shirts, loose pants, dresses, skirts, boxers and brassieres...Sometimes you'll see kneepads. Some dancers protect themselves in this way because of choreographies that favour falls and floor passages. 






PHOTO: MAXIME COTE | INTERPRETERS: MARGAUX DORSAZ, NICOLAS BOIVIN, CYNDIE FORGET-GRAVEL, MATEO CHAUCHAT | CHOREGRAPHY: MARIE CHOUINARD (2017) | MONTREAL SCHOOL OF CONTEMPORARY DANCE



A dancers' exposure

Some choreographers do not hesitate to stage their performers totally...naked! Shocking for some, this bias is part of an aesthetic approach. Whatever one may think, this exposing of dancing bodies is not just a gratuitous provocation. In many cases, we forget about the nudity of the dancers and concentrate on the choreography! 


Comments

  1. Hello,
    I've been dancing since I was 6 years old and I'm really a PASSIONATE. I've been doing ballet for 6 years and now I've been doing contemporary dance since 2010 so almost 10 years. Despite my great passion for it I didn't know its history so I'm delighted to read your blog. I find it very interesting and very well done, it makes you want to spend hours on it.
    Beautiful day to you and thank you again for your articles which are just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I've always danced too, if I've never done a contemporary I love to watch it. I really liked to learn more about this dance!
    I feel that next year I'm going to sign up for a new dance class lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Très intéressant et très riche !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello, I have been dancing since I was 3 years old. It's a real passion for me, especially contemporary dance as you can describe in this article.It's cool to read a dance blog. have a good day. I hope to read other articles very quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. it's very well done ! I'm following my daughter progress since she was young in the art of the dance and it made me to learn more about it... I look forward to reading the rest
    Congratulation for this nice job !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola !
    Acabo de leer este artículo y me pareció muy interesante, es un tema que a mí me encanta también. Cuando aún podía bailar, me gustaba hacerlo libremente dejándome llevar por las emociones que sentía al escuchar la música. Gracias por compartir tu experiencia con nosotros !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Très sympa à lire cet article, on voit que vous êtes une passionnée!

    ReplyDelete
  8. En inscrivant ma fille très jeune dans une petite école de danse je l'ai vue évoluer, et chaque jours un peu plus se passionner pour cet art magnifique qui l' aide à puiser l'énergie dont elle a besoin.
    La danse est un moyen de thérapie je pense, comme pour toutes les passions...
    Bravo pour son blog, il est à son image.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How to stretch well in 6 steps

Maintain a good diet without depriving oneself